Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What? Are you a FU*&%ING Hilbilly? Wear Sun Screen!

**NOTE** My original posting had the F-bomb written in the title instead of using %^$. The Hubs found this offensive and was sure that my mother and his mother would find it offensive too if they were to read it. He's right....Damn it! I admit it.......So I'm apologizing to those I offended including The Hubs and our mothers.

Over the last 3 days I have been suffering with a nasty sunburn that I got while working in the yard this last weekend. Yet another reason I hate yard work! Yard work doesn’t really promote a nice even tan and grass and dirt get stuck in the sun screen and grosses me out. I really do hate getting dirty.
While beating myself up over bad skin care choices YET AGAIN and whining like a baby because I can’t sleep at night with the burning on my shoulders and arms a story runs through my head over and over that should remind me to wear sunscreen but it doesn’t! Not until after I have burned myself does it come to mind. Now the rest of the summer I’ll be aware.

Let me set the stage before I get to the story…………I have NEVER EVER worn sun screen! As a teenage girl of the 70’s and 80’s I laid in the sun with my friends on foil blankets, with baby oil and Sun In on my hair. Then spent $100’s of dollars on tanning bed sessions. I was probably orange but damn I thought I looked good! I still feel much better when I have a little color. The other day I put on a pair of jean shorts and my white legs were so white they were almost as blue as the shorts. It’s tough here in Washington!

So on with the story........a few years ago a friend of mine and I decided to go over to the Gorge for a concert (an out door venue here in Washington. A beautiful must visit place or destination if you are ever planning a trip here). Well it was the middle of summer; we took off in my convertible with the top down, 2 single girls dressed for sunning and havin fun. 3 days in the sun I spent, with no sunscreen. I came back looking like someone had set me on fire. I was fire engine red. I even felt like someone had set me on fire but damn I didn’t care! It was going to tan up and I look fabulous!
Well I was at the gym walking on the treadmill the day after we got back from our fun little trip in the sun. My friend Kurt came up to me and said “What the hell is wrong with you?” “Are you a fucking hillbilly?” “Why wouldn’t you wear sunscreen?” “Your no spring chicken you know, sun at your age is even more damaging!” He then walked away leaving me there feeling like a total idiot. BUT…he was right! What was I thinking?????
So from then on I tried being aware that sunscreen would be my friend.

So with the holiday weekend coming up let me remind you …………..Don’t be a Fucking Hillbilly! Lather up yourself when you’re lathering up the kids and husband.
Hope this story sticks with you and makes you laugh when your lathering up on sunscreen.

HEY DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE CONTEST!!!
Only 5 more days left for entries. Get them in. If you’re not a blogger just e-mail them to me and I’ll post them.

1 comment:

WSU Laura said...

Hey f-bomb dropper....that is funny! I have a t-shirt I can loan you. ;-) When doing my spray on sunscreen I will always think of you.