Tuesday, September 2, 2008

As Promised

As promised in my last post here is my recipe for Cranberry Scones.
Fall is here! I wasn't really ready for summer to be over but it is. Here in the Pacific Northwest the trees have already started turning colors, the kids went back to school today, and our days will be sunny and gorgeous and comfortable until the middle of October. This is the time of year that I really start cooking, baking and trying to freeze a few things for winter.
This is one of the recipes that I use often. It's a great basic scone recipe. You can leave out the orange peel and add whatever you like to it. Chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts, whatever you like or just leave it plain and serve with jam. These also freezes really well.
Cranberry Scones
2/3 C. buttermilk or plain yogurt
1 egg
3 C. flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. butter
1 C. fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 C. sugar
1 t. fresh grated orange peel
Preheat oven to 375°F. Beat egg into buttermilk or yogurt. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter.Add cranberries, sugar and orange peel. Toss to coat. Add buttermilk mixture. Stir with a fork until a soft dough forms.Turn out onto a floured board and knead it 5 or 6 turns. Form dough into a ball and pat it out. Cut into 8 wedges.Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a light golden brown. Let cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before serving.

So here is what I do and again...............I don't always follow the recipe.

I'm making a double batch today so I'm starting with 1 Cup of butter. The Hubs will want to take these to work with him. They are his favorite and he likes to share them. I have quadrupled this recipe before and it turned out wonderful.

These are my product choices when making this recipe. I use the Ocean Spray orange flavored Cran-Raisins and Simply Orange juice. If I happen to have a fresh orange I'll use the peel but honestly.........I usually never have an orange handy when I want to make these.


I soak my cranberries in a little of the orange juice while I'm mixing the scones together. I know they are already orange flavored but....they just plump a little and ..............I have plans for the juice.

Dry ingredients cut together with the butter. Sorry I forgot the pictures of the buttermilk and egg mixture that goes in next. It's not all that exciting. I also add a little of the orange juice in the dough if it's not wet enough as I mix it.

Next I turn them out on some flour and press them out in to a circle. Yes, my dough is on plastic wrap. Why you ask????

Here is a tip that my mom taught me...........Wipe your counter down with a damp cloth, put two pieces of plastic wrap down on your damp area that will be big enough for whatever your making. The plastic should just stick to your counter. Then put your flour on the plastic wrap, put your dough on that. It also cuts down on the flour you need so you get a flaky crusts or moist breads. This works fantastic for pie crust. Just put another piece of plastic wrap over the top of the dough and roll out. When you have it all rolled out all you have to do is lift the plastic up off the counter and flip it up side down in your pie dish. EASY! Makes, making pie crust super easy. Clean up........A SNAP!Next cut in wedges
Here is my plastic wrap...........see the counter...........Clean! No flour mess to clean up.
Bake....................and wait!

I use a Pampered Chef Baking Stones for baking everything. If you don't have one of these I highly recommend it. I have been using them for years and feel like it's the best thing I ever bought for the kitchen. They make crispy fries, my cookies don't burn, my scones come out perfect every time, I cook pork tenderloins on it, and well.........I use it probably everyday (if I cook) for something.

OK sorry for the Infomercial there. If Pampered Chef would like to give me some kick backs feel free to contact me.

Remember the juice that I soaked my cranberries in?
I added powder sugar to it and made frosting.




Out of the oven to cool a little before I put the frosting on.


I'm putting the tea on as we speak! These look so good!


WAHLA!!!


What a perfect way to sit here and write this posting. With a fresh homemade scone and a cup of tea.

The House of B's was busy over the holiday weekend. I have some fun things to post later in the week.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

Yummy!! guess I know what I'm making this weekend :0)

sheila from life @ #17 said...

ummmm, I love scones...and those look Very Good...I'm going to have to rip off that recipe...sorry...of course, have to adjust it for butter & milk...LOL...they'll be awful...