Wednesday, September 3, 2008


More Cooking With Timi
I wasn't kidding about being on a roll cooking and using up stuff out of the fridge before it goes bad. Also I'm trying to use up stuff before I go do some seriously needed grocery shopping.

Today's kitchen mayhem...................


I had some left over brown rice (cooked in vegetable stock), broccoli, a little ground turkey ( from my stuffed acorn squash in yesterdays posting), half a sweet onion, cheddar cheese, a little butter, and some bacon grease

Here is the Paula Deen (you know I love her!) recipe that I make but this time I'm adding my own twist. This is the first time I have done it this way.


Broccoli Casserole
Ingredients:
2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 cup Grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
2 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl combing, broccoli, mayo, cheese, soup and eggs. Mix well with a metal spoon. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Top with the crushed crackers and pour the melted butter evenly over the crackers. Bake for 35 minutes or until set and browned.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Difficulty: easy Yield: 8-10 servings


Here's what I did.................

Sauteed chopped onion in the butter until the onions were tender. I mixed mayo, cheese, and Cream of Chicken soup together, added the left over broccoli, ground turkey, brown rice and some Paula Deen Seasoned Salt. Then added the onions,mixed and threw in a casserole dish. I never put eggs in this, and I use Ritz crackers when I remember to put them on. I forgot again!

Mayo and cream of chicken soup

All mixed together and topped with cheese.

This was really good! I bet this would be good with white rice or chicken too. Great way to use up left over chicken.

Fresh out of the oven

Hey! What did I do with the bacon grease?? Nothing, I decided to use butter to saute the onions instead of bacon grease.

Next up......................Deviled Eggs in a snap!

I also had a package of boiled eggs (mentioned in yesterdays post) that I needed to get used up. The Hubs requested I make them for him to take to work. I was like HELL YEAH! Great idea!!!! To all the women who work in his office..................I'm sorry! I'm feeding all those guys deviled eggs, it's probably going to be a bit rank in your office today.

Slice eggs, take out yolks and put them in a bowl to smash up

Crumble yokes, add mayo (we use Best Foods), dill pickle juice, dry mustard, dried parsley, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix it together

Pickle juice gives it a little bit of pickle flavor without the crunch of relish. Sometimes relish in deviled eggs is weird and it can make them runny as well as turn them colors if you make a head of time.


Take a tall drinking glass and put a plastic zip lock bag in it with edges folded over. Put your egg yoke mixture in and WAHLA! Piping bag for your eggs.
Cut a hole in the corner and just pipe your yoke mixture in the whites. EASY!

Sprinkle with some paprika

Pack up for The Hubs to take to work. Eggs..................OUT OF THE FRIDGE!

I cheated this time with using pre-cooked and peeled eggs. GRANDMA HINT: My Grandmother always tells me to use old eggs for deviled eggs. They boil up better and peel better. I think she might be right. I seem to have better luck with older eggs rather then fresh eggs when doing hard boiled eggs. I don't know if it's a fact or not but it does seem to work.

Well I'm off to work on some exciting things I have been trying to develop. I'm so excited to be able to share them with you all soon.

Have a good day!







No comments: